Sago/Tapioca Pearls/Sabudana/Sabakki-3/4 cup
Coconut milk-500ml (2 cups)
Sugar-2 ½ cup
Cardamom- 3 pods crushed
Nutmeg powder- a pinch
Ghee- 2 tbsp.
Raisins and Cashewnuts-handful.
- Clean sago under running water 3 to 4 times and drain well. Soak them well in just enough water in a wide bowl for 5-6 hours minimum or better overnight. Do have a check in between, if required drizzle little water to avoid them turning dry.
- Just separate the pearls and set aside.
- Boil water in a deep bottom pan and when it starts to boil just drop in the sago pearls.
- Cook till they are almost transparent, takes around 15-20 minutes.
- Add milk to it at this stage.
- Cook for a while.Add sugar and let the sugar melt fully.
- Bring it to a boil and then add coconut milk to it, just simmer for a while, do not boil further after adding coconut milk.
- In a pan add ghee and melt.
- When hot add cashew nuts and fry till golden, then add raisins and fry till plump and set aside.
- Add it to the payasam.
- Add crushed cardamom.
- Followed by that just scrape little nutmeg powder just a pinch and add it to the payasam. Enjoy sago payasam hot or chilled.
Enjoy the dish! n don't forget Eat and Eat little MORE.. :)