Tuesday 14 May 2013

Banana Halwa/Banana Fudge

Very simple halwa from south India is Banana Halwa. The recipe is simple but takes off all your patience till you get the perfect outcome. Here I bring for you my recipe for banana halwa. This recipe calls for fully ripe mashed bananas. I had few very ripe bananas in my cupboard and to finish them off here I tried my mom's way of making halwa. I loved the way she used to take care that no groceries go spoiled. Whenever she finds extremely ripe bananas which one would not eat she will come up with this great halwa which is a mouth watering dessert.She had directed me to mash the bananas, but me lazy gal,din't want to make my mixer dirty just to mash very ripe bananas, so I did chop them so fine that they looked as though they were mashed up.It calls for good amount of ghee and sugar too. I love this halwa for it's taste and also for the fact that no bananas will go waste in my kitchen cupboard due to this perfect recipe.
Very simple way of doing halwa is as below

Ingredients:
Fully ripe bananas -3 (Constitutes 1 cup of mashed banana, better choice would be yelakki bananas of south India, but here in Germany I couldn't get them so tried out from the chiquita bananas which we get here, their size equals the nendra bananas we get in South India)
Sugar-1 1/4 cup
Ghee-1/2 cup
Cardamom powder-1/4 tsp
Dry fruits chopped-1 tbsp(optional)
Water-2 tbsp

Recipe:
  1. Fry the dry fruits in 2 tsp of ghee and keep aside(optional).In a pan, add chopped bananas and water to avoid burning at bottom.
  2. Keep stirring continuously till cooked in low flame.
  3. Once cooked add sugar and mix again
  4. Keep sauteing till all water content almost evaporates.
  5. Now add  remaining ghee little by little with continuous mixing.
  6. At the end add cardamom powder and ghee fried dry fruits(optional) to it and mix well till it forms a lump.
  7. Transfer it into a bowl and let it set and cool completely.
 
 


This was my first attempt for this halwa


Enjoy the dish! n don't forget Eat and Eat little MORE.. :)

[WTML%25202013%255B17%255D.jpg]
cook like mom
 
Sending this to Nivedhanam's Authentic Indian Sweets w Giveaway for my First Blog Birthday

Indian sweets
 

No comments:

Post a Comment