Sunday 20 October 2013

Moong Dal Khichdi with Cabbage/Moong dal Porridge with Cabbage

My little girl now has sound knowledge with regard to taste I believe. I can see her eyeing on the transparent glass cup of tea that I serve in the morning or evening to myself and Mr. S. She then just makes her face when I serve her a glass of milk with Almond powder or a teaspoon full of Junior Horlicks. She will ask for a sip of tea and if I tell no, she deliberately goes and gets a piece of bread and asks me, ''Amma, dip this in tea and give me''. Don't you think we need to prepare daily something delicious and different so as to make her like what she eats. Yes hence my plight to prepare daily something different for her ended me up with this nutritious khichdi. I added a small amount of garlic, ginger just to enhance the taste and make her drool as she eats. To my surprise it turned out so well that not only she even I liked it to the core. Here I share the simple recipe for your growing toddlers.

Recipe adapted from Tarla Dalal's recipes for toddlers

Ingredients:
Rice-2 tbsp
Moong dal (split skinned green gram)-2 tbsp
Chopped cabbage- 1/4 cup
Capsicum-1/4 chopped
Shallots-1 chopped
Cumin seeds -1/4 tsp
Asafoetida (hing)- a pinch
Grated ginger-1/4 tsp
Garlic-1 chopped fine

Turmeric powder - a pinch
Ghee-1/2 tsp 
Water-1 3/4 cups
 Salt to taste
Cilantro/Coriander leaves to garnish
 
Recipe:
  1. Clean both moong dal and rice under running water.
  2. Soak them with enough water for 20-30 minutes.
  3. In a pressure cooker add ghee.
  4. When hot add cumin seeds.
  5. Add hing/asafoetida after cumin seeds splatter.
  6. Add chopped garlic at this stage.
  7. Now once garlic is well sauteed, add in shallots.
  8. Add grated ginger too.
  9. Saute everything well.
  10. Now pop in capsicum, cabbage and saute.
  11. Add turmeric powder and give a mix.
  12. Now add the drained mixture of soaked rice and moong dal.
  13. Saute well and add water, salt to taste and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles.Once pressure releases, transfer it into a serving plate and granish with cilantro.

 
 
 
Notes:
  1. If the khichdi or porridge looks dry add little say 1/4 cup boiled water and again simmer for 4-5 minutes.
  2. Serving suggestion: Can serve as it is, or with a dollop of curd.
 Enjoy the dish! n don't forget Eat and Eat little MORE.. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment