Friday 24 January 2014

Beetroot Halwa/Beet Sweet Pudding

Beetroot(Rote Bete as known in German) is a veggie which I love for its color. I lately wanted to try beetroot halwa, which I had once prepared before my marriage. Me and my brother were at home and mom had gone out for some shopping. We decided to prepare carrot halwa/pudding before she comes, but we had no idea that carrots were not there in the pantry. We saw some beetroots lying, I decided to prepare a halwa out of it and tried the same way as I prepare carrot halwa, to my wonder, it turned out fantabulous and we enjoyed to the core. We had fun preparing it. This is my second attempt after that, never got a chance to prepare till date after that. My daughter enjoyed it lots.This was a treat for my Deutsch class friends the other day when we had a party to end our last day of the first level of the course. They all enjoyed it lots. Wiki says "Beetroot is an excellent source of folate and a good source of manganese, and contains betaines which may function to reduce the concentration of homocysteine, a homolog of the naturally occurring amino acid cysteine.The red colour compound betanin obtained from beetroot is often used in industries as red food colorant".


Ingredients:
Beetroot-3 medium sized peeled and grated
Milk-2 cups
Sugar-1 1/2 - 2 cups
Ghee-1/2 cup
Cardamom-3 pods crushed
Pistachios and sultanins or any nuts of your choice- fistful to garnish

Recipe:
  1. Add grated beetroot in a non stick pan and to that add just enough milk to soak the grated veggie.
  2. Cook till they are well cooked and the milk is fully evaporated.
  3. Now add sugar to the mixture and let it melt fully to form a liquid mixture all over again.
  4. Keep cooking till all liquid content is evaporated and then add ghee little by little with constant mixing to the mixture.
  5. Keep mixing.Add a few dryfruits along with ghee while sauteing the halwa.Continue till it starts forming a mass and leaving the pan.
  6. Garnish with slivered pistachios and sultanins on top.


 

 
Enjoy the dish! n don't forget Eat and Eat little MORE.. :)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment