Friday 31 January 2014

Jowar Roti/Jolada Rotti/Sorghum Flatbread

Jowar/Sorghum, a gluten free grain, is cultivated in warm climatic conditions and a flatbread out of this is in Northern Karnataka often known in local language as jolad rotti. It is often served with ennegai/chutneys/gojju/any sidedish involving pulses. It is considered to be farmer's food and is considered to be good for people who do lots of physical work.I first tasted it when I had been to Kamat hotel on our way to native from bangalore. Was introduced to this by my Mr.S. I fell in love to such an extent with this that I would never miss eating whenever we left to native. I had never thought of preparing it too. But some time back a very close friend of mine (from north Karnataka) who left from here permanently to India had left behind at my place a pack full of Jowar/Sorghum flour. And finally yesterday I prepared it the third time and I did not want to miss clicking step by step pics and writing up a recipe for my readers. So here goes the way I prepare Jowar rotti/Sorghum flatbread. I had prepared long back twice but now as the flour was an year and half old, was little apprehensive with the output but to my surprise, it came splendid and we enjoyed with Badane Gojju/ Spicy Brinjal Masala. I learnt the perfect recipe of badane gojju/spicy brinjal side dish from Nalini Somayaji who blogs at Adige. I will share in my tomorrow's post the Spicy Brinjal Masala is on post today.

Ingredients:
Jowar/ Sorghum flour-2 cups
Boiling water-1 cup
Salt to taste
Normal water at room temperature-if required
Jowar/sorghum flour to dust

Recipe:
  1. In a bowl add boiling water, to that add jowar flour, salt to taste and cover and set aside.
  2. After around 10-15 mins, open the cover and start kneading and add little by little water only if needed. Knead well and get ready with the dough.Cover and let it rest for around 10-15 minutes.
  3. Pinch out a lemon sized ball from the dough. Flatten it with your hands, with proper dusting as required. Use as much jowar/sorghum flour as needed to dust else you will not be able to flatten it out with hands. Take due care as not to tear the flattened raw bread.
  4. Transfer it carefully onto a very hot skillet.
  5. Wet a clean cloth and wipe the top portion of the jowar roti on the skillet.
  6. Allow it to cook well till the water on top evaporates a bit, then flip it over and cook further the other side till done.
  7. Enjoy the hot roti with any chutney or curry of your choice. We enjoyed it with Badane gojju/Spicy Brinjal Masala.


 


Notes:
  1. Do not skip adding hot water initially.
  2. Knead the dough well.
  3. Do dust with as much flour as required, be generous while dusting because it tends to stick to the surface on which it is spread with palms.
  4. When baking the roti on top of the skillet, do not forget to wipe with the wet cloth on top, to get a soft roti.
  5. Preferably avoid using roller that you use to roll chapathis, if you find it way too difficult to do with palms go for it.
 

Enjoy the dish! n don't forget Eat and Eat little MORE.. :)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment