Thursday 23 January 2014

Chanadal Masala Vadai / Kadalebele Masala Vade/ Easy version of Chattambade/ Parippu vada

Chattambade or masala vade is something which I loved since childhood, being born and raised in Kerala, had got many a times chance to eat Parippu vada. My mom's sister, my chikkamma used to excel in the preparation of chattambade/parippu vada. I still remember having eaten many a times at her place and also during the train journey with friends to South Kerala to attend Entrance coaching. It was fun eating this vadai. I had many a times wished to try them out but with my mixer not in a good condition to grind dals with less or no water, I had to always leave my plans to prepare them. Recently a friend of mine, my neighbour here, suggested me to prepare them in a way which is much easier than the authentic method. I found it equally tasty and delicious and way too simple. Here goes the recipe of Chattambade or Parippu vada easified.

Ingredients:
Split husked Bengal gram/Chana dal/Kadale bele-1 heaped cup
Onion-1 chopped
Green chillies- 5-6 chopped
Coriander leaves/Cilantro- 5-6 sprigs chopped fine
Curry leaves/Sweet neem leaves(as translated in many Indian languages)- handful leaves chopped fine
Salt to taste
Water-1 1/4 cup
Oil to deep fry

Recipe:
  1. In a dry grinder/mixer coarse grind the chana dal.
  2. Get the mixture out of the mixer and let it soak well in water for 2-3 hours.Add water just enough to cover the ground dal mixture.
  3. Once well soaked check by just smashing the coarse dal particles with fingers. If well soaked they will mash up soon. To that add chopped cilantro, green chillies, curry leaves and mix well. Add salt to taste. Add chopped onions and mix well.
  4. Get ready with oil to fry in a pan. Prepare small dumplings out of the dough and flatten it out.
  5. Drop them one by one into oil and deep fry in hot oil.
  6. Fry well on either sides till golden brown. Move them to a kitchen towel and enjoy hot with a cup of tea.



 


Notes:
  1. I had used around 1 1/4 cup water to soak the coarse ground dal well and soaked for little more than 2 hours. You may adjust accordingly as it depends on the quality of dal used.The first time I prepared them I had added less water and also soaked it for just less than 30 minutes, I did get good shaped vadas but they were a bit harder. So add water as required so that it is well soaked and soak for around 2 hours minimum.
  2. If you wish you could coarse grind green chillies, ginger together and add it to the mixture rather than just adding chopped green chillies, that will enhance the taste for sure. I was little lazier to do that and hence I added just green chillies that too chopped ones.
  3. Do not fry in extremely hot oil, as the outer layer will get brown soon and inside it won't be well cooked, fry at a right temperature, neither bubbling nor cold oil.
 Enjoy the dish! n don't forget Eat and Eat little MORE.. :) 

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I tried this chanadal masala vadai and Amritsari Fish to surprise my family and they loved it.I am not an avid reader but I must say that your blog posts are something I look forward to. Great platform thanks!

    ReplyDelete