Monday 5 August 2013

Akki Unde Kadubu/Steamed Rice Dumplings

An authentic breakfast item in Dakshina Kannada is unde kadubu. Simple basic kadubu which in our community is known popularly as unde/akki unde is prepared as breakfast along with red onion coconut chutney or some good sambar or even with honey kids enjoy this very much. I loved seeing my kid sitting in her high chair and eating these unde with honey.
I had a small cup of cooked parboiled rice. Was thinking as how to use them. Yesterday was over chat in the late evening with one of my close to heart sister,(Shri Kripa akka as I call) and I was like what to do with that one cup of cooked parboiled red rice, she suggested me to add while making dosa, idli. But I had not soaked rice and dal ahead and also didn't have enough dal with me . So asked if I could use them in making of unde/steamed rice dumplings. I already had the recipe from my amma/mom, I checked with akka and she also told me the same recipe as my mom's and outcome was superb. I didn't have enough time to prepare red onion coconut chutney, but you could very well check my red onion coconut chutney recipe. So I had to rely on a chutney powder that I had with me and made instant hot chutney for accompanying these dumplings. But my kiddo enjoyed them with honey very much.My better half enjoys them with sambar made out of basale/Malabar spinach, but I don't get Malabar spinach here, hence I make spinach sambar for him, but yesterday we wanted to try with chutney.  Here I share the recipe of akki unde kadubu.


Ingredients:
Rice (sona masoori) -1 1/2 cup
Cooked parboiled red rice- 3/4 cup
Salt to taste
Water as required

Recipe:
  1. Soak rice 4-5 hours in enough water ahead of grinding. Grind rice with required amount of water to get a thick coarse batter. Do not grind to a smooth or fine texture. Add salt as per taste while grinding.
  2. At the last stage of grinding add cooked parboiled red rice.
  3. Grind again for a 30-45 secs and the batter is ready.
  4. Batter should be of little thick coarse consistency.
  5. Then you need to cook this batter in a wide pan for around 6-8 minutes on a medium flame till it become hard to move the spatula and it takes the shape of a dough.
  6. Make balls out of it, you may not need any greasing as cooked dough don't tend to be sticky.
  7. Place the balls made in a preheated steamer and cook for around 15 minutes. Akki unde kadubu/Steamed rice dumplings are ready to serve.
  8. Crazy me like to eat the parched dry portion of the dough that stay sticking to the pan after the balls are prepared and placed in steamer.
 


 
Enjoy the dish! n don't forget Eat and Eat little MORE.. :)


Sending this to Cooking with love sister owned by Sara's corner,Fast ! Fresh !  Simple !  @ Cookingwithsapana,Guru’s Cooking Giveaway Kids Special ’13
 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment