As the name suggests, 'rumal' in Hindi is a word used for handkerchief, so rumali roti means, roti which is as thin and soft as a handkerchief. I always loved the way it gets prepared. I still remember a day when I had gone with my friends to visit Infosys during college days. There was some kind of workshop organized by them and there were many competitions like technical quiz, coding and many more. We were thrilled as it was a kind of outing. And the best part was we got the most excellent lunch ever. And the food items that were spread infront of us were rumali roti, dal makhani, some paneer curry and many more followed by rice delicacies and dessert, hot gulab jamoons with ice cream. Just wondered how the cooks were turning and twisting the rotis while rolling the dough ball right in front of us. They were so very experienced. And it is usually is cooked by placing it on a big inverted iron pan. Since I donot have an Indian stove working on gas, I was apprehensive to try rumali roti. But recently I happened to go through internet in a video where vahchef, Sanjay Thumma explains very well as how to prepare it in an alternative way without having to cook on an inverted iron pan and all. Just by using our normal tawa/skillet used for preparing rotis or any Indian flat breads. I was excited to know this method, but was still having a negative feeling that I may not get the real and actual rumali rotis. But, voila, I prepared perfect rumali rotis and enjoyed them with dum aloo. Here I share the rumali roti recipe with you all.
All purpose flour/maida-1 cup
Whole wheat flour/atta-1 cup
Milk-as required to knead the dough(you could use water too)
Salt to taste
For crumble to be applied in between:
Whole wheat flour-2 tsp
Rice flour-2 tsp
- Mix maida, atta, salt and using milk prepare a pliable dough as for chapathi or roti. Apply oil on top of the dough to prevent parching and cover it.Let the dough rest for 30-45 minutes.
- Now prepare 2 round balls of the size of a lime.
- Roll out one ball as thin as possible with required amount of dusting.
- Prepare a crumble of wheat flour, rice flour, ghee in a bowl by just mixing all 3 ingredients in a bowl.
- Now apply this crumble on one of the prepared roti.
- Roll out another roti in the same way as in step 3. Place this roti over the other on which the crumble was applied.Gently roll out again.
- Place this on a hot tawa and and cook on one side till you see small blisters.
- Flip and cook the other side. Again flip and cook.
- Once fully cooked on either sides take it off the tawa and just tear apart the 2 rotis that you struck together. Thus you will have 2 rumali rotis ready. Similarly prepare rest and enjoy it with any side dish. We enjoyed with Kashmiri Dum aloo.
Enjoy the dish! n don't forget Eat and Eat little MORE.. :)
Post a Comment