Potato is such a vegetable that it could be used in many dishes due to its well blending nature. I love any items out of potatoes, can say one of my favourite veggie. Aloo Bonda is a lip smacking savoury deep fried snack meant for a rainy evening with hot masala tea or a cup of coffee. It is supposed to contain much calories due to the fact that it is oil fried and also potato is rich in calories. So people on diet must definitely avoid these fried items but me, I'll eat them anytime under Sun. Here I share aloo bonda recipe.
Cooked and mashed potatoes-2 cups
Green chillies-3 chopped fine
Ginger-1/2 '' minced
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Cumin seeds/Jeera-1 tsp
Ajwain/Carrom seeds-1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp+1/4 tsp
Coriander powder-1 tsp
Red chilly powder-1/2 tsp+1/4 tsp
Asafoetida/Hing- 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves-2 sprigs chopped
Salt to taste
Besan/Gram flour-1 1/2 cup
Rice flour-2 tbsp.
Baking powder-1/4 tsp
Water as required
Oil to deep fry
- In a pan heat 2 tsp oil and when hot add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida. As they crackle add green chillies, ginger and sauté. Now add curry leaves and cooked and mashed potatoes to it. Add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, coriander powder and salt to taste. Mix and cook well till all spices get absorbed fully in potatoes. Once done let it cool to room temperature.
- Make balls out of the potato mixture.
- Prepare a batter to coat the mixture by adding gram flour, rice flour, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/4 tsp red chilly powder, ajwain, salt to taste and water as required.
- The consistency of batter should be like that of a pakora batter, free flowing, it should neither be runny nor thick.
- Heat enough oil in a pan to deep fry the bondas. Drop in a single ball of potato mixture into the batter.
- Let it coat with the batter prepared.
- Drop them gently into hot oil and deep fry the aloo bondas till golden.
- Remove them off to kitchen towel and enjoy this savoury snack with tomato ketchup for an evening tea
Sending this to Fast ! Fresh ! Simple ! @ Cookingwithsapana,