Friday 2 March 2018

Baked Samosa with Aloo/Potatoes

Baking is something that I occasionally do, but for me to ensure my newly built kitchen is up and running this was something I had to try, I mean, to be frank I wanted to check my oven (As how it works) Now for me I get wild thoughts and a list of food items flash in my mind and my brain scans them, when I try to get creative. Well it was DH's birthday and ways to surprise him in simple things gave me immense pleasure. I tried this time something baked for him to carry to his colleagues. Yes, baked version of our very own Aloo Samosa. It's real taste is when it is deep fried. I  am pretty much sure it couldn't be reached for sure but not a bad idea to have them baked says my inner mind (deep there arises my health consciousness).


He carried them to office. And I had warned him to reheat them in a microwave with settings of convention oven for a while before he serves and also asked him to do have them with ketchup. Well at home I did not have tomato ketchup with which it is usually well paired. And the best part is, one of his colleague asked for a second one!
Lets jump to the recipe and let me not drag here.

Ingredients: Makes 13-14 medium sized samosas
For the filling:
Potatoes medium sized - 5
Green chillies - 2-3
Cumin seeds - ½ tsp.
Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp.
Garam masala - ½ tsp.
Salt to taste

For the sheets to fill the filling:
Whole wheat flour - 1½ cups around 200gms
Warm ghee or clarified butter - 3 tbsp. + 2 tsp.
Salt to taste

Recipe:
  • Boil potatoes in advance, peel and mash them and keep them ready.
  • In a bowl add, warm ghee.
  • To that add whole wheat flour and salt to taste.
  • Mix well the fat content to the flour.
  • Once mixed they should form a dumping when pressed and easily break away as you press them.
  • Then adding very little water keep mixing the dough. Then make small sized balls out of them and let them rest for a while till you prepare the filling.
  • To prepare the filing add in a pan around 1 tsp. ghee and when hot add cumin seeds, as they crackle add chopped green chillies.
  • Add the mashed potatoes to it and mix, add turmeric powder, garam masala and salt to taste. Let them cool.
  • Now take out a wheat flour ball, flatten it out and then cut it to half from the middle.
  • Each half will make one samosa. Now take one half, wet the edge with a water drop only till the centre from one side.
  • Grab the other edge put it over and seal the side to form the cone.
  • Fill a big spoonful of the cooled filling into it and seal the opened edges.
  • Seal well on all sides and place them one by one on the baking sheet in a tray.
  • Before you are done with filling and arranging samosas preheat your convention oven to around 180 degrees.
  • Once done, brush the filled samosas with ghee and place the baking tray into the oven, bake them for around 25-30 mins keeping a constant check in between to avoid burning.





Notes:
  • Use any root vegetables other than potatoes if you like them that way thereby you get baked vegetable samosa😉.
  • You can deep fry too, there by fried samosas 😉.
Enjoy the dish! n don't forget Eat and Eat little MORE.. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment