Wednesday 20 March 2013

Rawa aur Mawa Gujiyas/Ghughras

Having done my schooling in different parts of India, I got to know that culture of India as a whole is a mixture of different cultures from different regions.UNITY IN DIVERSITY is well defined. Gujarat was a place I really loved when I was kid. Loads of festivals being celebrated, enjoyed by people of all ages throughout the year.I remember having seen my mom making a sweet called Gujiya/Ghughra for Diwali.I just used to love eating this sweet and I never used to call that sweet by it's original name rather I used to tell 'Sweet with ring design'. Used to go crazy for this particular sweet! I made them for my Diwali this time too like last year with a yummy rawa and mawa filling. You can enhance it by including finely chopped dry fruits like cashews,raisins,pistachios,almonds and even dates.


Let me not drag you guys and simply tell you that one of my 1st experiment was 'Gujiya' only after I planned to start experiments in my kitchen. I prepare them often and today I share with a video of how to do the art work at the edges of the sealed gujiyas. Usually moulds are used but not to worry if moulds are not available.

 

Here is the handy list of the ingredients you need:

Makes 30
For Dough:
All purpose flour/Maida- 2 1/2 cups
Ghee- 1tbsp
Water- 1/2 cup
Salt- a pinch 
For Filling:
Fine rava/fine semolina- 1 1/2 cup
Mawa/khova- 3/4 cup (Home made mawa/khova recipe)
Cardamom powder and nutmeg powder mix- 1/2 tsp.
Fine Sugar- 2 cups
Ghee- 1/4 cup

Oil to fry
Recipe:
Dough:
  1. Take all purpose flour in a bowl, add a pinch of salt.
  2. Warm the ghee a little and add warm ghee to the all purpose flour in a bowl and mix well.
  3. Now add water little by little and knead to form a stiff and soft dough.
  4. Keep aside for 30 minutes an later prepare small balls out of it.Keep it covered to prevent drying out.
Filling:
  1. Add ghee in a pan and to that add fine semolina and fry in a medium heat till aroma comes out and rawness is almost gone.
  2. Then add mava and let it get roasted for another 5 mins.
  3. Add sugar to it and again mix well in low flame for another 5 mins.
  4. Now take it off the flame.
  5. Add cardamom powder and nutmeg powder mix to the pan and mix well. Let the filling cool down. 
 
Filling and preparing ghughras/gujiyas with video
  1. Take one small ball out and roll small oval shaped pooris out of them.
  2. Take the poori shaped disc on your palm.
  3. Now add enough filling to the centre.
  4. Fold it to form a semi circle shape and seal properly.
  5. Now comes the art work. For that having sealed edges, just pinch the one end of the edge.
  6. Fold it over.
  7. Perform that till you reach other sealed end.
  8. Now attractive ghugras or gujiyas are ready to be fried.
  9. Similarly prepare 3-4 and begin to fry.
 
 
 
Check the video below to see how the art work is done
 
  1. Heat enough oil in a wok.Once hot add the gujiyas into it and deep fry in medium heat so that they will be crunchy.
  2. Now crunchy gujiyas are ready to serve with inner filling just melting in mouth.
This was how my Gujiya looked when I prepared it the first time.
 
Note:
  1. Fry in low to medium oil to get a crispy outer covering.
  2. Make a stiff dough to avoid too much absorption of oil.
 
Enjoy the dish! n don't forget Eat and Eat little MORE.. :)

Sending this to Nivedhanam's Authentic Indian Sweets w Giveaway for my First Blog Birthday

Indian sweets



No comments:

Post a Comment